reconfigure broken network? (kinda urgent)

Hi everyone,

In an effort to change form a dynamic to a staticIP configuration, I
seem to have partially broken my network setup.  Here's what I did:

-- added an extra line to /etc/hosts:
192.16.8.2.199  matts-mac   localhost

-- changed the devinition of eth0 in /etc/networking/interfaces from

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

# replace dhcpwith static
# auto eth0
# iface eth0 inet static
#        address 192.168.2.199
#        netmask 255.255.255.0
#        broadcast 192.168.2.255
#        gateway 192.168.2.1

as you can see, I've since commented it out.

At this point my interface was broken, and although I tried returning
the files to their pristie state and rebooting, I didn't have much
luck.  Then (no doubt compounding the problem) I ran dpkg-reconfigure
on any package that looked like it might help revert me to my original
setup, like ifupdown, inetd, net-tools, network-base.  In so doing I
worry I might have screwed things up further...  and after I returned
the files I'd edited by hand to their original state, things were
still broken.

the situation now is the following:

- on boot, any network relateddaemon takes forever to start up before
some connection times out.  But the system boots nonetheless.  - ping
breaks when applied to myself (127.0.0.1, 192.168.2.101, etc).  I get
this kind of output:

a) with 127.0.0.1
matts-mac:~# ping 127.0.0.1
PING 127.0.0.1 (127.0.0.1): 56 data bytes

--- 127.0.0.1 ping statistics ---

b) with the address assigned to me by the dhcp server on my home router:
matts-mac:~# ping 192.168.2.101
PING 192.168.2.101 (192.168.2.101): 56 data bytes
ping: sendto: Invalid argument
ping: wrote 192.168.2.101 64 chars, ret=-1
ping: sendto: Invalid argument
ping: wrote 192.168.2.101 64 chars, ret=-1
ping: sendto: Invalid argument
ping: wrote 192.168.2.101 64 chars, ret=-1
ping: sendto: Invalid argument

wierd, eh?  And I notice that ping is sending 56 bytes to these
addresses, but 64 bytes to other addresses.  I have no idea what that
signifies.

meanwhile, lots of outgoing connections still seem to work.  For
instance, I can browse the web and make ssh connections.  However, I
can't seem to reach my computer even from outside (can't ssh to it,
for instance).

so, 2 questions:

-- WHAT'S WRONG WITH MY SYSTEM?

and

-- HOW DO I FIX IT?

the latter is more pressing than the former...  I was hoping it would
be possible to reduplicate the "configure your system" step from the
debian install process, but I couldn't figure out whether that's
possible.

Anyway, thanks again, as usual, for the help!

matt