Re: No sound - onboard VIA VT8233 AC97

Josh Metzler wrote:
-SNIP- <
Ok, before writing the above, I had installed the stock debian kernel-image-2.4.20-3-686, along with alsa-modules-2.4.20-3-686, alsa-base, alsa-headers, and alsa-utils. I had not run alsamixer to unmute the sound. I have now done so, but still no luck.

alsamixer settings:
Master: 52
Master Mono: 52
3D Control - Center: 53Josh Metzler <joshdeb@metzlers.org>
3D Control - Depth: 53
3D Control - Switch: 0 (won't go up)
PCM: 52
Surround: 52
Surround Down Mix: 0 (won't go up)

I don't use alsamixer here... the mixer that comes with KDE worked fine for me. Can't say much about these settings...

sound related modules as listed by lspci:

I hope you mean "as reporded by lsmod"... <grin>.

snd-seq-oss            29408   0  (unused)
snd-seq-midi-event      2984   0  [snd-seq-oss]
snd-seq                36496   2  [snd-seq-oss snd-seq-midi-event]
snd-pcm-oss            39972   0
snd-mixer-oss          13592   0  [snd-pcm-oss]
snd-via82xx            13248   0
snd-pcm                60836   0  [snd-pcm-oss snd-via82xx]
snd-timer              14212   0  [snd-seq snd-pcm]
snd-ac97-codec         39752   0  [snd-via82xx]
snd-page-alloc          5020   0  [snd-via82xx snd-pcm]
snd-mpu401-uart         3296   0  [snd-via82xx]
snd-rawmidi            13312   0  [snd-mpu401-uart]snd-via82xx
snd-seq-device          4192   0  [snd-seq-oss snd-seq snd-rawmidi]
snd 30244 0 [snd-seq-oss snd-seq-midi-event snd-seq snd-pcm-oss snd-mixer-oss snd-via82xx snd-pcm snd-timer snd-ac97-codec snd-mpu401-uart snd-rawmidi snd-seq-device]
soundcore               3940   6  [snd]

All of the above are the same as mine, except I don't have the "snd-page-alloc" listed. This means that your setup of ALSA is probably OK if these modules are getting loaded automatically, AND if you indeed have the 8233/AC97 sound combo. More on this later...

As my speakers only have one jack and there are two places for speaker jacks on the back of the MB, I'm not certain which one I should use. With the volume up on the speakers, I get static touching either one with the jack, but I also get no sound with it plugged into either one. I picked the darker green one, which is closer in color to the speaker jack.snd-page-alloc

Your MB should have three 1/8 inch "phono" jacks on the back... all in a row. With these three jacks positioned to be viewed to the RIGHT of the keyboard/ps2 mouse pair, then going from LEFT to RIGHT they are:
snd-via82xx
1.  Line out  <---- you should use this one with AMPLIFIED speakers!
2.  Line in
3.  Mic in

As I don't know much about how sound works in gnu/linux, it is possible I'm not testing it correctly. Additional info is that I am running KDE. There's no sound from it either, but I'm not sure how that might affect my ability to play sound from the command line. I figure I should get sound working from the command line before working on KDE.

The one remaining variable that I hinted about above is that your MB doesn't use the same chipset as mine. I looked at the manual for your board posted at the Shuttle site and it says you have a VT8235 plus a RealTek ALC650 Codec ( a six channel AC97 style codec). Obviously your hardware is different from mine, so the above settings may NOT be the correct ones... The ALSA site says the snd-via82xx driver is ok... dunno. Could you forward the "real" results of lspci?? ;) I would be interested in what LINUX thinks you have....

Try firing up kde and see what happens. You won't hurt anything, and it might give you some clues from it's complaints...

Cheers,
-Don Spoon-