Re: No sound - onboard VIA VT8233 AC97

On Saturday 21 June 2003 01:39 pm, Donald Spoon wrote:
> Josh Metzler wrote:
> > I would appreciate any advice anyone can give me as to how to get sound
> > working on my new box.
> >
> > The mother board is the Shuttle AV49N, which has onboard VIA VT8233 AC97
> > sound.
> >
> > I have been testing with cat reflect.au > /dev/dsp.  (reflect.au is a
> > sound that comes with kbounce.) This returns with no messages, but also
> > with no sound coming out the speakers.
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> > Josh
>
> I have a different Shuttle MB model that has the VT8233 / AC97 chipset
> in it.  Sound is working OK with ALSA here.  I believe I had it working
> at one time with the kernel's built-in OSS drivers too, but I can only
> help with the ALSA setup now.
>
> Tell me what you have done so far, and which kernel version you are
> using.  The pre-compiled ALSA files only come compiled against a couple
> of the available kernels now.  If you want to use ALSA, you first must
> get one of these kernels installed or compile your own version of ALSA
> against your kernel from  the source.  I would advise going the
> pre-compiled route.
>
> Cheers,
> -Don Spoon-

Ok, before writing the above, I had installed the stock debian
kernel-image-2.4.20-3-686, along with alsa-modules-2.4.20-3-686, alsa-base,
alsa-headers, and alsa-utils.  I had not run alsamixer to unmute the sound.
I have now done so, but still no luck.

alsamixer settings:
Master: 52
Master Mono: 52
3D Control - Center: 53
3D Control - Depth: 53
3D Control - Switch: 0 (won't go up)
PCM: 52
Surround: 52
Surround Down Mix: 0 (won't go up)

sound related modules as listed by lspci:
snd-seq-oss            29408   0  (unused)
snd-seq-midi-event      2984   0  [snd-seq-oss]
snd-seq                36496   2  [snd-seq-oss snd-seq-midi-event]
snd-pcm-oss            39972   0
snd-mixer-oss          13592   0  [snd-pcm-oss]
snd-via82xx            13248   0
snd-pcm                60836   0  [snd-pcm-oss snd-via82xx]
snd-timer              14212   0  [snd-seq snd-pcm]
snd-ac97-codec         39752   0  [snd-via82xx]
snd-page-alloc          5020   0  [snd-via82xx snd-pcm]
snd-mpu401-uart         3296   0  [snd-via82xx]
snd-rawmidi            13312   0  [snd-mpu401-uart]
snd-seq-device          4192   0  [snd-seq-oss snd-seq snd-rawmidi]
snd                    30244   0  [snd-seq-oss snd-seq-midi-event snd-seq
snd-pcm-oss snd-mixer-oss snd-via82xx snd-pcm snd-timer snd-ac97-codec
snd-mpu401-uart snd-rawmidi snd-seq-device]
soundcore               3940   6  [snd]

As my speakers only have one jack and there are two places for speaker jacks
on the back of the MB, I'm not certain which one I should use.  With the
volume up on the speakers, I get static touching either one with the jack,
but I also get no sound with it plugged into either one.  I picked the darker
green one, which is closer in color to the speaker jack.

As I don't know much about how sound works in gnu/linux, it is possible I'm
not testing it correctly.  Additional info is that I am running KDE.  There's
no sound from it either, but I'm not sure how that might affect my ability to
play sound from the command line.  I figure I should get sound working from
the command line before working on KDE.

Josh