Re: OT: America's Army

* Bijan Soleymani (bijan@psq.com) [030622 10:46]:
> Paul Johnson <baloo@ursine.ca> writes:
>
> > For all you Linux gamers out there, The United States Army announced
> > Version 1.7.0 of America's Army, introducing Linux support for the
> > first time.
>
> Is this Free Software? It doesn't seem to be. It's nice that the US
> army is willing to release violent propaganda for "Linux" systems, but
> if it's not Free Software then I don't see how this is any better than
> running quake3 or unreal tournament.

For many people, the only reason they're keeping around a windows
machine or dual-boot system is the games.  If gaming companies begin
following suit and release Linux versions of popular games, this means
freedom from microsoft for all of those people.  Whether the games are
Free Software or not, this can mean many more people using a Free OS,
which in turn means fewer potential IE, OE/Outlook, and Word users.
This is good for everybody.  It is in our best interests that the Linux
version of this and other games be successful.  So anyone thinking about
pirating this, please don't. =)

good times,
Vineet
--