Re: OT: America's Army

On Sun, Jun 22, 2003 at 12:00:30PM -0700, Vineet Kumar wrote:
> * Bijan Soleymani (bijan@psq.com) [030622 10:46]:
> > Paul Johnson <baloo@ursine.ca> writes:
> >
> > > For all you Linux gamers out there, The United States Army announced
> > > Version 1.7.0 of America's Army, introducing Linux support for the
> > > first time.
> >
> > Is this Free Software? It doesn't seem to be.

Is it Free? No.  Is it free? Yes.  You don't have access to the source
or the right to modify the code (at least I don't believe you do), but
the game is available for download at no cost, check out the official
site:

   http://www.americasarmy.com/downloads.php

> > It's nice that the US army is willing to release violent propaganda
> > for "Linux" systems, but if it's not Free Software then I don't see
> > how this is any better than running quake3 or unreal tournament.

Oh, yea, that's right "violent propaganda"...  give me a break.  I see
more violent stuff on daily television.  It's a game for crying out
loud.

> For many people, the only reason they're keeping around a windows
> machine or dual-boot system is the games.  If gaming companies begin
> following suit and release Linux versions of popular games, this means
> freedom from microsoft for all of those people.  Whether the games are
> Free Software or not, this can mean many more people using a Free OS,
> which in turn means fewer potential IE, OE/Outlook, and Word users.
> This is good for everybody.  It is in our best interests that the
> Linux version of this and other games be successful.  So anyone
> thinking about pirating this, please don't. =)

Silly question, but how can one "pirate" a game that's offered by the
official site as a "free" (as in beer) download?

--
Jamin W. Collins