Re: USB adsl modem

"Willem-Jan Meijer" <Meyer3@chello.nl> writes:

> A friend of my has an adsl connection for a week now and he wants a server
> with debian.
>
> The modem is a USB modem

Which one?

> and my experiences with debian and usb aren't that good
> that I can say it's going to work. How can I get the modem
> working? Is it auto-detected during the installation?

Most likely you'll need to install a special driver.

> Or can I get a cable from usb to rj45?

No, that makes no sense.

I have a Sagem Fast 800 USB here that sort of works, it's good
enough for me when I'm home, but not reliable enough for a server,
sometimes it loses connection and then (of course) the machine
can no longer be reached from outside.
If I really needed to I could try a newer driver and/or a watchdog
that restarts it, though.

Jürgen

--
Jürgen Stuber <stuber@loria.fr>