Re: debian

On Fri, Jun 20, 2003 at 02:16:00PM -0400, Bijan Soleymani wrote:
> But the first week I spent staring at a bash prompt was different. I
> might have enjoyed it because I'm a geek, but I'm sure some people
> get fed up at some point.

And Debian is not for those people, then.  And to a lesser extent,
computers in general.  This is a major pet peeve of mine, and one that
only got aggrivated working tech support:  Computers are complex
machines designed to do complex tasks.  Thus, there's a learning
curve.  The sharpness of this curve is inversely proportional to the
usefulness of the software.  Useful or droolproof:  Pick *one*.

> Hardware detection on one architecture shouldn't hurt another
> architecture. There are many autodetection tools that are already in
> Debian.

So install those and don't futz around during the install doing it by

> They could use knoppix also (sadly Knoppix includes the non-free
> adobe pdf reader...).

Write to Klaus and ask him to exclude it.  Or master your own.
There's a howto on Knoppix's site.

> > What is the reason that you don't underestand that Debian is free
> > software project, so if you are unhappy with something, you can get
> > invlved and help it ?
> Not everyone is a computer programmer.

Hire one, then.

> I've installed Debian GNU/Hurd. It's really not that difficult.

Unless you have a mouse.  Or want to run X.  8:o)  Hurd is a work in
progress by anybody's terms.

- --
 .''`.     Baloo Ursidae <baloo@ursine.ca>
: :'  :    proud Debian admin and user