Re: debian

On Fri, 2003-06-20 at 00:19, Kent West wrote:
> Joyce, Matthew wrote:
>
> >What is the reason debian does not install like other OSs ?
> >

> Mostly because other OSes run on i386, period, whereas Debian runs on
> something like 13 different architectures (i386, Mac, Sparc, Arm, etc),
> and each arch version needs to stay fairly well synchronized with the
> others. If you want a "Debian" that installs like other OSes, you might
> want to take a look at http://www.debian.org/misc/children-distros.

Add in that in not *too* long, Debian will be installing not just Linux,
but a couple *BSDs and potentially (should it get to the state
appropriate for such) the Hurd.

But I'm not going to fault Debian for autodetection being a tad shy of
totally automated - I used to run OS/2, where autodetction existed as
far as *knowing* there wasn't an OS/2 driver for that device ;) It
couldn't find all of the memory on my system (topping out at 64 MiB)
while Linux and WinNT 3.51 both saw 80 MiB. That said, installers have
generally always been a headache, regardless of the system, until the
last decade when the repeated need to re-install Windows made for
attention to the process necessary.

> Now, having said that, each release of Debian gets a little easier to
> install than the last, and the next release, or the one after, should be
> more like what you expect Today. (Of course, by then, you'll be asking
> why Debian doesn't install like Tomorrow's other OSes.)
>
> Debian might be tough to install, but you only have to do it once.
>
> --
> Kent West (westk@acu.edu)

ML Kahnt New Markets Consulting
Tel: (613) 531-8684 / (613) 539-0935