Re: debian

 --- "Joyce, Matthew" <MJoyce@ccia.org.au> escribió:
> Clearly it is possible to have comprehensive hardware detection, so
> presumably somewhere someoene is choosing not to address this issue.
>
> What is the reason debian does not install like other OSs ?

IANADD (I am not a Debian developer), more than likely becuase Debian supports
IA-32, Motoral 68k, SPARC, Alpha, PowerPC, Arm, MiPS, HP PA-RISC, IA-64, S390,
SuperH, the Hurd kernel on i386, NetBSD kernel on i386 and Alpha, and the
FreeBSD kernel on i386 (http://www.debian.org/ports/).

That's 12 hardware architectures and 4 OS kernels.  What you are suggesting is
not easy, which is probably why it is taking so long to accomplish.

RedHat (and many other distros) support only 1 or 2 hardware architectures,
thus they have much less to worry about in terms of possible installation
scenarios and hardware detection.

-Roberto Sanchez

Yahoo! Sorteos  -  http://loteria.yahoo.es
Juega a la Lotería Primitiva sin salir de casa