Re: debian, request help

On Fri, 2003-06-20 at 17:11, Paul E Condon wrote:
> Thanks, but this installs Knoppix. I want to install Debian. Is
> Knoppix a clone of one of the Debian distributions? Do I just use
> apt-get dist-upgrade? Or what? And which distribution do I get?
> Potato, Woody, Sarge, Sid?
Knoppix is basically a Debian distribution (you can run dselect from knoppix
to see all the packages installed). It's Debian plus some autodetection stuff
made to run off a cd. It think it is close to Sid (judging from the packages
it includes).

> Also, to run as root, I need to know the root password for Knoppix.
> It is not a password that I have setup while booting from CD. But I
> suppose that it is something I can discover from the Knoppix CD, or
> maybe someone will tell me.
The virtual terminals are all logged in as root, you press Ctrl-Alt-F1,
Ctrl-Alt-F2,...F3,...F4, and so on to access them from X.

There is also a menu item (KnoppixMenu -> Root Shell) which will lauch
an xterm that is logged in as root. Somewhere during the knx-hdinstall
script you will be asked what password you want for root.

Bijan