Re: debian

On Friday 20 June 2003 20:32, Bijan Soleymani wrote:

> I run Debian on several Architectures. Red Hat and SuSe run on them
> too. I think the only architecture that Debian supports but almost no
> one else does is the 68k.

Wrong. They only run on AMD64, IA-64 and IA-32. SuSE supports PPC.
RedHat doesn't support PPC, and non of them support Sparc or MIPS or
[insert favorite architecture here].

> For one architecture that I use in particular (Sparc) we don't even
> need hardware detection. There's about 2 sound cards, 2 network
> cards, a few scsi cards, and almost all are either included in the
> kernel or easy enough to figure out.
>
> However I have sometimes done 20+ installs of Debian on i[3456]86 PCs
> and have used Knoppix because it saves me LOTS of time.

Well, Libranet, Lindows (Argh!!) Xandros and Knoppix are all Debian
based. I have tried all of them (except Lindows) and they are all
serving a popuse. It is good to have them, I especially like Libranet
and Knoppix.

Now that the discussion is so much about Knoppix, let me tell you that a
while back I tried a distro called CollegeLinux which was based on
Slack but used Knoppix's auto detection. Cool !

Cheers

--
/* You can always count on Americans to do the
right thing; - after they've tried everything else.