Re: debian

> Debian runs on many architectures (have you even looked
> athttp://www.debian.org/releases/stable/installmanual recently?)
(This sounds like an insult, this is mean, and I don't think I deserve
this).

I just said that there is no reason why Debian can't have autodetection.
Because Knoppix has it and Knoppix is based on Debian. That is to say,
that once it is installed the computer becomes a Debian Sid Box (apt-get
and all).

> . It
> has a different set of priorities than Mandrake or Red Hat. If I
> wanted a good installer I'd go with one of the other distributions, or
> work on adding it to Debian.

I run Debian on several Architectures. Red Hat and SuSe run on them too.
I think the only architecture that Debian supports but almost no one
else does is the 68k.

For one architecture that I use in particular (Sparc) we don't even need
hardware detection. There's about 2 sound cards, 2 network cards, a few
scsi cards, and almost all are either included in the kernel or easy
enough to figure out.

However I have sometimes done 20+ installs of Debian on i[3456]86 PCs
and have used Knoppix because it saves me LOTS of time.

Bijan