Re: wired aptitude behaviour with whiptail and libnewt0.51 (latest unstable)

Miernik wrote:
> I just run apt-get update on the latest unstable, and then run
> aptitude.
>
> Here is what I get after g:
>
> --\ Packages being removed because they are no longer used
> idA libnewt0.51                                                      <N/A>   127kB         0.51.4-8       0.51.4-10
> --\ Packages being deleted due to unsatisfied dependencies
> idA whiptail                                                         <N/A>   81.9kB        0.51.4-8       0.51.4-10
>
> It want's to remove whiptail because of libnewt0.51 (UNSATISFIED), and
> it want's to remove libnewt0.51 because it is unused.
>
> I'm notreally sure if or to what is this a bug, so I post it here
> instead of reportbug'ing it.

This is probably becase you have not yet installed debconf 1.2.42.
Previous versions of debconf conflict with whiptail-utf8, which whiptail
suddenly started to provide. Aptitude is probably removing whiptail for
that reason; you could have hit enter on the whiptail line and expanded
the list of packages conflicting with it to see.

--
see shy jo