Re: debian

On Fri, 20 Jun 2003 11:50:22 +1000
"Joyce, Matthew" <MJoyce@ccia.org.au> wrote:

> I have been using Debian for about 18 months now.
> I like it and prefer it to other dristos I have tried.
>
> Today I had to install Redhat 9 on a system.
> It detected everything.  A totally good experience installing this os.
>
> I'm not saying I will be moving from Debian to redhat, but I do wish
> Debian would address the install procedure.
>
> Clearly it is possible to have comprehensive hardware detection, so
> presumably somewhere someoene is choosing not to address this issue.
>
> What is the reason debian does not install like other OSs ?

There are several possible answers to this question:

1.  Because you haven't stepped forward to volunteer your time and
energy to work on the installer, hehehe.

2.  Because the people who *have* stepped forward to volunteer their
time and energy to work on Debian have usually found other things more
interesting or important to them to work on.  With a Debian system,
goes the reasoning, you only have to install the system *once*, ever.
No going through the installation process again to do upgrades, etc.
So to lots of people, it hasn't seemed that huge a deal.  If it seems
a huge deal to you, see #1 above.

3.  The next version of Debian is intended to have a graphical
installer available, with integrated hardware detection.  How that
plays out depends on whether those working on the installation system
can get it where they want it to be soon enough, I guess.  I've heard
here and elsewhere they need testers, if you would like to help out.
See

http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2003/debian-devel-announce-200302/msg00013.html

for more info.

You might also find these interesting: