Re: Audio CD questions

On Wednesday 18 June 2003 02:46, Roberto Sanchez wrote:
> Greetings list,
>
> Today, for the first time, I popped an audio CD in my laptop with the
> intention of listening to it (the CD player portion of my stero broke
> during my last move).  I was very unhappy when gnome-cd and xmms both
> choked on it.  It's an older CD so I can't imagine it is DRM'd, but
> nonetheless I would still like to play it (and a few others) on my
> computer.  I did an apt-get cdda2wav and messed around with that some
> until I managed to get some tracks on the harddrive where I could
> play them with xmms, but I have a couple of problems. 1) I would like
> a GUI-type tool to facilitate putting the audio on my harddrive and
> 2) I can't figure out how to tell cdda2wav to make each track into a
> separate file when I try to grab the entire disc.
>
> Could someone point me in the right direction here?  Also, what does
> everyone recommed for a preferred storage format (wav, mp3, ogg)?

I use Grip. It is damn so good, and always works without a hitch. I use
it as a frontend for cdparanoia (for riping) and lame (for encoding).
About file format, you probably didn't know this, but askin such a
question is a very good way to start a flame ;-) Anyway, in my ideal
world, I should use ogg, since it has better compression than mp3, and
is also patent free. But I'm not living in my ideal world. So when it
comes to reality, I use mp3, because that it the only thing which you
are guaranteed to have on all devices. e.g No portable audio player, or
car audio player, can play ogg files.

If you care about patents, or if you never intend to listen to these
files anywhere other than your computer, go with ogg. if not, mp3 is
the only viable soloution.

About your problems, I guess Grip's simple interface should solve them.
Just make sure that you have appropriate permissions to use underlying
programs.

Cheers

--
/* You can always count on Americans to do the
right thing; - after they've tried everything else.