Re: Kernel will not compile

On Tue, 17 Jun 2003 09:49:44 -0700
Craig Dickson <crdic@pacbell.net> wrote:

> Gary Hennigan wrote:
>
> > I think, in general, it's best to stick with 2.95 compilers for the
> > kernel.
>
> This seems to be the common view of the kernel developers, but I've had
> no trouble building 2.4.20 and .21 kernels using whatever gcc was
> current in Debian unstable at the time (3.3 currently, and I just built
> a .21 kernel the other day with it, which seems to be doing fine).
>
> It may be relevant that I use kernel source tarballs from kernel.org,
> not Debian packages, and I do not use make-kpkg.

I don't think it's really relevant.

I use both Debian kernel sources and make-kpkg, and it's not a problem for
me.

The problems building kernels with gcc3.3 were similar to the binutils a
while back -- newer versions spat out bad code that earlier versions
swallowed.

The latest version of kernel-source-2.4.20 fixes the bad code, so the kernel
now builds with gcc3.3.

Kevin