Re: Kernel will not compile

I use the deb-packages. On Unstable: kernel-package (8.040), gcc(3.3-2), kernel-source-2.4.20 (2.4.20-8). I also had problems before, which could be solved by changing the Makefile back to gcc-2.95 (eg. it compiled), but now, with the packages above, everything seems to be just fine.

Best wishes,
Jozsef

Craig Dickson wrote:
Gary Hennigan wrote:

I think, in general, it's best to stick with 2.95 compilers for the
kernel.

This seems to be the common view of the kernel developers, but I've had
no trouble building 2.4.20 and .21 kernels using whatever gcc was
current in Debian unstable at the time (3.3 currently, and I just built
a .21 kernel the other day with it, which seems to be doing fine).

It may be relevant that I use kernel source tarballs from kernel.org,
not Debian packages, and I do not use make-kpkg.

Craig