Re: fatal error on RH partition

on Tue, 17 Jun 2003 01:53:30AM +0200, Roberto Sanchez insinuated:
>  --- Nori Heikkinen <nori@sccs.swarthmore.edu> escribió:
> > hey all,
> >
> > in trying to partition this machine up and install various OSes on it,
> > i've managed to screw up a lot.  there's a redhat install on a
> > different partition, and though i can mount it, i can't boot into it.
> >
> > more specifically, if i add a stanza (really basic, like below) to my
> > /etc/lilo.conf and run lilo, i get the following error:
> >
> > Fatal: First sector of /dev/hda5 doesn't have a valid boot signature
> >
> > the stanza i add to /etc/lilo.conf looks like this:
> >
> > other=/dev/hda5
> >   label="RedHat(hda5)"
> >
> > pretty basic.
> >
> > should i be asking this to a RH list?  it seems like a pretty standard
> > question, i just don't know what i did ...
> >

> Boot RH with a boot floppy (you made during install, right?) or the
> install CD (in rescue mode).  Then run (as root) 'lilo -b
> /dev/hda5'.

hm -- there needs to be a lilo.conf specified also, right?  if i just
try to run lilo -b /dev/hda5 from the rescue shell, it wants to know
where the lilo.conf to follow is.

so i tried booting into debian, mounting /dev/hda5 to /mnt, and then
doing:

spycellar:~# lilo -b /dev/hda5 -C /dev/hda5/etc/lilo.conf
/dev/hda5/etc/lilo.conf: Not a directory
spycellar:~# lilo -b /dev/hda5 -C /mnt/etc/lilo.conf
Ignoring entry 'boot'
Warning: device 0x0304 exceeds 1024 cylinder limit.
   Use of the 'lba32' option may help on newer (EDD BIOS) systems.
Warning:  LINEAR may generate cylinder# above 1023 at boot-time.
Fatal: Sector address 22196029 too large for LINEAR (try LBA32 instead).

hm.  is this not what you meant?

thanks,

</nori>

--