Re: Networked sound - any ideas?

On Mon, Jun 16, 2003 at 12:32:25PM -0600, Jamin W. Collins wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 16, 2003 at 07:58:21PM +0200, Andreas Schulz wrote:
> > what's about setting up a sound server (streaming )on each machine,
> > and the one with the hifi-plug joins the streams ??
>
> Any suggestion on the package(s) to use for such a solution?

Speaking as the OP - seconded!  Are you talking icecast, or something
like that?

The whole idea (for me, anyway) of running a sound server on the hifi
machine is that I can offload some of the processing overhead onto the
server machine.  The clients are 550/600/700Mhz boxes, so I'm
trying to leave them as free as possible.  Wouldn't running something
like an icecast server on each client (so to speak) box defeat this aim?
Yes - I know I didn't mention this in the OP :-P

Also, I 'spose should mention that, while I /like/ the Esd idea of
wrapping up /dev/dsp for all child processes of a specific
early-init-time task so that all attempts to access /dev/dsp
automatically use Esd without knowing it <deep breath>, I have heard
that it can be a performance bottleneck if you have lots of processes.
Has anyone any experience of this or have I been misinformed?

Cheers!
  jc