Re: Internet Browser Preferences

on Mon, Jun 16, 2003 at 05:57:22PM +0200, Frank Van Damme (frank.vandamme@student.kuleuven.ac.be) wrote:
> On Monday 16 June 2003 17:49, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> > > I don't want to get into any long debate, but I am looking for a light
> > > weight browser.  I am currently using Opera, but crashes occasionally and
> > > I am getting really annoyed.  What are you guys using?
> >
> > Galeon on reasonable HW.  Dillo / w3m on older (PII-200 and worse).
> >

> > For more:
> >
> >     http://twiki.iwethey.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/NixBrowsers
>
> Dillo and w3m on a 386 you mean :-)
>
> Galeon mustn't be a bad performer on a pII-200. At least it's workeable with
> my p133.

P-133, 64 MiB, 4200 RPM drive (this is an old Thinkpad 560).  I consider
Galeon unusable for anything other than confirming layout.

I don't believe the PII was shipped less than 200MHz, so what I'm saying
is:  pre-PII HW, you're going to want a lighter-weight option.

I've been playing with the box as a remote server, displayed to  anewer
(1.7GHz, 512 MiB) system.  Once you take the load of serving X off the
box, it speeds up markedly.

Generally, I don't demand the latest in graphics, etc., from my systems,
but I tend to keep a lot of apps open, and expect relatively quick
response most of the time.  For interactive desktop use, I'm finding 1
GHz+ is preferable to anything slower, and P-133 is barely usable.
YMMV.

Peace.

    "Yes," said Marvin. "Wearily I sit here, pain and misery my only
    companions. And vast intelligence of course. And infinite sorrow.
    And..."
    -- HHGTG