Re: International characters in xterm

On Mon, 2003-06-16 at 07:07, btom@passagen.se wrote:
> Hi,
> None of the virtual terminals available on my debian (woody) system are able
> to display international characters, especially Swedish ones like (å,ä,ö).
> I used to have the same problem on the console but this disappeared when
> doing a

When you say "virtual terminals" are you referring to an xterm or
gnome-terminal, or are you referring to the actual virtual terminals on
the system? (e.g. Alt-F1 through Alt-F6) If you mean the actual virtual
terminals on the system, (e.g. Alt-F2), then I've been having the same
problem. If you look back a few days in the list I had a question about
UTF-8 support. I'm able to get all of the characters just fine in
gnome-terminal, but when I go to a console, the characters don't show
up.

> >dumpkeys (in xterm)
> Couldnt get a file descriptor referring to the console

This is because dumpkeys doesn't work in a graphical shell AFAIK. I have
the same problem. I thought there was a way to specify the tty with a
command line option, but I just checked and I don't see one.

> > perl -pe''
> perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
>         LANGUAGE = "swedish",
>         LC_ALL = (unset),
>         LANG = "sv_SE.UTF-8"
>     are supported and installed on your system.

You should set LC_ALL to something. Unfortunately, locales doesn't do it
for you. I just added it to my .bashrc.

And are you sure that LANGUAGE is correct? I had thought that it was
LANG. Either way, I believe it should be set to the language code, not
the name of the language. So, in your case, sv_SE.

--
Alex Malinovich
pgp.net keyservers. Key ID: A6D24837