Re: Fixing error when installing package

On Sun, Jun 15, 2003 at 11:35:14PM +0100, Ben Kal wrote:
> On 14 Jun 2003 iwk <debian@vanderkleyn.com> wrote:
> > I just installed Eclipse 2.1 from unstable. It downloaded a whole bunch
> > of dependant packages, among which the  j2re1.4  (Blackdown).
> > Configuration of the latter failed, leading to a whole series of
> > dependant packages (ant, junit etc) to fail as well. The problem was  that
> > it tries to make a symlink of
> > "/usr/lib/mozilla-cvs/plugins/javaplugin_oji.so.dpkg-tmp" to
> > "/etc/alternatives/javaplugin_oji-mozilla-cvs.so". Because the direcoty
> > /usr/lib/mozilla-cvs doesn't  exist, the configuration failed. I solved
> > it by creating the symlink  "/usr/lib/mozilla-cvs". After this the
> > configuration of j2re1.4 and all dependant packages worked. However,
> > hacking my own file-system seems rather klunky. I would rather solve the
> > problem more thouroughly, so therefore my folowing questions
> >
> > Just point me to the right manual/reference if its a matter of RTFM :-)
> >
> > 1) I consider this to be a bug in the package. Do I notify the mainainer
> > directly or through a special mailing list?
>
> Use Debian's Bug Tracking System (BTS). Compose a mail using the utility
> reportbug. First read how to use these on the BTS pages of www.debian.org
> and in 'man reportbug'.

... but please don't report problems with Blackdown's j2re1.4 packages
to Debian's bug tracking system, since we'll just have to close them
straight away. Report such bugs to Blackdown directly.

(I've directed a number of people to report the same bug to Blackdown
over the last year or so. I don't know if those people never passed on
the report or if Blackdown are just ignoring the problem, though.)

> > 2) I would like to locate and fix the problem myself in the confiuration
> > script. Where does the package system keep these scripts after
> > installation?
>
> I could be mistaken, but AFAIK the package system does not keep installation
> scripts anywhere but in the .deb package files.

It does. They're stored in /var/lib/dpkg/info.

> It is possible to extract
> all files from a package file with
>   dpkg-deb -x <package name>.deb

That doesn't extract files in the control area; you need 'dpkg-deb -e'
for that. However, if you're going to repack the .deb then you'd be
better off using ar and tar by hand than either of these.

Cheers,