Re: Fixing error when installing package

On 14 Jun 2003 iwk <debian@vanderkleyn.com> wrote:

> I just installed Eclipse 2.1 from unstable. It downloaded a whole bunch
> of dependant packages, among which the  j2re1.4  (Blackdown).
> Configuration of the latter failed, leading to a whole series of
> dependant packages (ant, junit etc) to fail as well. The problem was  that
> it tries to make a symlink of
> "/usr/lib/mozilla-cvs/plugins/javaplugin_oji.so.dpkg-tmp" to
> "/etc/alternatives/javaplugin_oji-mozilla-cvs.so". Because the direcoty
> /usr/lib/mozilla-cvs doesn't  exist, the configuration failed. I solved
> it by creating the symlink  "/usr/lib/mozilla-cvs". After this the
> configuration of j2re1.4 and all dependant packages worked. However,
> hacking my own file-system seems rather klunky. I would rather solve the
> problem more thouroughly, so therefore my folowing questions
>
> Just point me to the right manual/reference if its a matter of RTFM :-)
>
> 1) I consider this to be a bug in the package. Do I notify the mainainer
> directly or through a special mailing list?

Use Debian's Bug Tracking System (BTS). Compose a mail using the utility
reportbug. First read how to use these on the BTS pages of www.debian.org
and in 'man reportbug'.

> 2) I would like to locate and fix the problem myself in the confiuration
> script. Where does the package system keep these scripts after
> installation?

I could be mistaken, but AFAIK the package system does not keep installation
scripts anywhere but in the .deb package files. It is possible to extract
all files from a package file with
  dpkg-deb -x <package name>.deb
You could then hack the installation scripts, and build your own modified
<package name (customized)>.deb file with the tools available for building
Debian packages (I do not know the commands from the top of my head)
and then you have fixed the problem, but only for your self, in case you
need to install this same package once again, and if you then remember that
the customized version of the package is to be preferred.

> 3) I could be that I cannot fix a problem. But I would like to force the
> packaging system to accept the package as being "installed and
> configured" so any dependant pacakge would continu isntallation. How can
> this be achieved?

What makes you think the packaging system has NOT accepted the package as
being "installed and configured"? For you tell us that "After this the
configuration of j2re1.4 and all dependant packages worked".
  dpkg -s <package>
will tell you what the package system thinks about the installation and
configuration status of <package>.

> 4) Is there a seperate manual/reference to be found where the packaging
> system is expalined in full detail? I like the APG-GET HOW-TO and the
> Debian Reference is great, but they don't seem to cover it all.

Cannot help you with this one.

Ben

--

B.F.M. Kal
Anjelierstraat 1,   2014 TC Haarlem,  Netherlands