esd and 2 concurrent users on machine?

Hi,

I have gdm configured to have 2 login windows on F7 and F8. 2 users are
logged in concurrently, both using gnome. User 1, who was the first to
log in, has sound via esd - no problem. However, User 2, logging in
second, has no access to esd. User 1 must make his instance of esd
accessible by a 'esdctl unlock', then User 2's apps can play sounds.
I'm pretty sure that can't be right. However, I can't find anything I
could, e.g., put into /etc/esound/esd.conf.

Thanks, M