Re: Advice needed : Oracle and Debian Linux

Theo Cabrerizo Diem wrote:
> I have to install an Oracle (and Progress) databases here ... but a
> question remains in my mind ;o) ... In Oracle's website they say that
> Oracle is supported only in a few rpm based distros ...
>
> I know that Oracle <and Progress> run on Debian/Linux ... but what kind
> of problem I can expect doing this ? And what kind of solution (other
> than installing RedHat) can I try ?

I don't know anything about Oracle and will leave Alex's excellent
response answer that.

But I have been dealing with the D. vs R. debate at work for a while
and will say that for commercial applications you will always be
defending your choice of Debian if you choose to make that choice.
Fighting the political battles might be your biggest cost.  I think it
is the right choice.  But you need to go into the battle with your
eyes open.

Most businesses really don't know what to make of free software.
Therefore they try to make it fit into their traditional model of
commercially purchased non-free software.  The concept of buying
software fits the traditional purchase model.  Red Hat has made a
business model of selling free software.  It seems to be working for
them.  Most businesses (non-technical management) equate GNU/Linux
with Red Hat.  (At least in the US.  In Europe it would probably be
SuSE.)  Therefore you *will* spend time justifying your Debian
decision to other people since it is not Red Hat even though Debian is
a better technical choice.

The larger politics also should not be dismissed.  I don't relish the
idea that businesses are creating another OS monopoly by specifying a
particular version of a particular distribution instead of supporting
standards such as the LSB but at least in the EDA/CAD industry this
seems to be what the vendors are working toward.  That is a bad trend
and I don't see any reversal of that trend of thought any time soon.

I have yet to find any commercial application that does not run on
Debian.  One application (rational) needs /usr/tmp symlink to /var/tmp
so I know it is an old code base.  Another (synopsys) needs an updated
termcap-compat library bound to libc6 instead of libc5.  Gosh, neither
of those are rocket science.  Java and icc/ecc are probably the most
difficult two things I have found yet to install because their
packaging is so bad to begin with.  If they were LSB compliant it
would be trivial to install those.  Sigh.

Bob