Re: Partially broken tasksel after dist-upgrade

On 12 Jun 2003 "Andrew A. Raines" <drew@poured.net> wrote:

>[snip]
>
> My problem is that whenever I enter tasksel to install X and Gnome, it
> bombs out with:
>
>,----
>| Reading Package Lists... Done
>| Building Dependency Tree... Done
>| Sorry, imlib-base is already the newest version.
>| Sorry, x-window-system-core is already the newest version.
>| Sorry, menu is already the newest version.
>| Sorry, x-window-system is already the newest version.
>| Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
>| requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
>| distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
>| or been moved out of Incoming.
>| The following information may help to resolve the situation:
>|
>| Sorry, but the following packages have unmet dependencies:
>|   gnome-utils: Depends: libgal19 (>= 0.19) but it is not installable
>|   kdebase-audiolibs: Depends: libvorbis0 (>= 1.0rc3-1) but it is not installable
>| E: Sorry, broken packages
>
> [snip]
>
> How can I recover?  Should I downgrade to stable and try upgrading the
> right way?  The manual suggested that could cause more problems.

Up to now, I have been able to get out of situations like this by trying to
install the 'not installable' packages directly, just to see the reasons for
their not being installable. If that reason was a dependency on some other
package that also is not installable, I then tried to install that other
package, and so on.

Chances are that pretty soon you find out which packages to install and
maybe which other packages to remove, and in what order, to finally make the
package you are really after installable.

Ben

--

B.F.M. Kal
Anjelierstraat 1,   2014 TC Haarlem,  Netherlands