Partially broken tasksel after dist-upgrade

Unfortunately, I didn't find chapters 5 & 6 of the Debian
Reference Manual before I tried to upgrade my machine from a 3.0
instal to testing.  Now I'm having problems.  Although, I've done
`apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade' before and it's worked
great.  Maybe APT's been reworked since I did that.

My problem is that whenever I enter tasksel to install X and
Gnome, it bombs out with:

,----
| Reading Package Lists... Done
| Building Dependency Tree... Done
| Sorry, imlib-base is already the newest version.
| Sorry, x-window-system-core is already the newest version.
| Sorry, menu is already the newest version.
| Sorry, x-window-system is already the newest version.
| Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
| requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
| distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
| or been moved out of Incoming.
| The following information may help to resolve the situation:
|
| Sorry, but the following packages have unmet dependencies:
|   gnome-utils: Depends: libgal19 (>= 0.19) but it is not installable
|   kdebase-audiolibs: Depends: libvorbis0 (>= 1.0rc3-1) but it is not installable
| E: Sorry, broken packages
`----

I can install (using apt) other packages without complicated
dependencies, so I don't think my whole database is fried.
Trying to remove packages and apt-get update'ing multiple times
has proved useless.

How can I recover?  Should I downgrade to stable and try
upgrading the right way?  The manual suggested that could cause
more problems.

Thanks.

-Drew