Re: Help! I just destroyed my root filesystem

on Fri, 13 Jun 2003 10:21:34AM +1000, Richard Heycock insinuated:
> I ran grub-install on my root partition instead of my boot partition
> and now I cannot boot my machine. I can get to the stage where the
> kernel tries to mount the root filesystem but it cannot mount at as
> it is not the correct type (reiserfs).
>
> If I run file -s /dev/hda5 it returns x86 boot sector. I know that
> most of the data is still there. Is there anything I can do to get
> it back? If not what is the best way to go about re-installing the
> os?

similarly, in the process of running install-mbr on my hard drive, i
mistakenly ran it on /dev/hda1 intstead of /dev/hda.  this was my
windoze partition, and now i can't boot into win ... can i use i
windoze rescue disk or something to get this back?  i'm assuming i
just screwed up the first small bit of the partition, not the whole
thing ...

</nori>

--
    .~.      nori @ sccs.swarthmore.edu