Re: Help! I just destroyed my root filesystem

On Friday 13 June 2003 03:21, Richard Heycock wrote:
> I ran grub-install on my root partition instead of my boot partition and
> now I cannot boot my machine. I can get to the stage where the kernel tries
> to mount the root filesystem but it cannot mount at as it is not the
> correct type (reiserfs).
>
> If I run file -s /dev/hda5 it returns x86 boot sector. I know that most of
> the data is still there. Is there anything I can do to get it back? If not
> what is the best way to go about re-installing the os?
well, I don't use grub so I can tell you how to go back to lilo :(

start a new installation, the moment you get the first screen, press ALT-F2 to
go to the shell, manually mount all your filesystem hierarchy to /mnt, chroot
to it and run lilo.
afaik you can change the grub settings from grub itself, so maybe you can
google for the correct setting.

Bye
--
Haim