lpr margin problems

Hi,

i have installed CUPS 1.1.15. to work with my HP Deskjet3820.
I installed all the latest foomatic* and cupsys* stuff.
Now, the testpage from the webinterface from cup prints fine
as do webpages, but when i try command line printing with
lpr (the version from cupsys), the first letters to the left
disappear and the top letters disappear also.
I installed alignmargins but that didn't help. (supplied wrong
number?)
I supplied these values but i saw absolutely no change in
the way pages where print.
ml 72
mb 0
mr 72
mt 72
x  72
y  72

I didn't really know what the x and y meant. I mean, if i supply
a left, right, top and bottom margin, why would it want an
x and y ?
And i tried several variations but that didn't help.
The printcommands i tried:
lpr -o Margins=Custome textfile
lpr textfile

When i did "lp -d hp -o docs /etc/hosts" i received a nicely
printed doc but it was not in draft (hp is the name of the
printer) For this page the margins where respected or at least
no letters where lost :-)
It even seems so that it doesn't listen when i want it to print
in draft even if it's specified ok in the admin module of CUPS.

Any idea on how i can get the first and top letters back?

Thanks