Re: Shell script or Perl?

Sebastian writes:
> BTW, is #!/bin/bash a valid choice for a Debian "official" shell script?

Yes, but I would like to see it deprecated for maintainer scripts and
forbidden for init.d scripts (the latter should be too simple to need
bashisms).

> After all, bash is an essential package AFAIK.

Yes.  However, if you use bashisms you must start your script with
#!/bin/bash as /bin/sh can be any POSIX shell.

I don't find writing portable scripts difficult but I have been doing it
since the mid-eighties.
--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org (John Hasler)