Re: [OT] 4-way split screen on Dell laptop 8000

on Wed, 11 Jun 2003 04:02:33PM -0600, Jamin W. Collins insinuated:
> On Wed, Jun 11, 2003 at 04:45:22PM -0400, Nori Heikkinen wrote:
> > on Wed, 11 Jun 2003 02:00:45PM -0600, Jamin W. Collins insinuated:

> > > Have you disabled the frame buffer?
> >
> > no -- what is that, and how would i disable it?
>
>    http://www.netbulans.net/susefaq/framebuffer.html
>
> The above two contain conflicting information one suggests the use
> of "vga=normal" which I see you've already tried, the other suggests
> the use ov a video= line.
>
> Based on this message from the linux-fbdev-users list, the video
> option appears to be the right one:
>
>    http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=178052

yes, indeed!  wonderful!  by passing video=vga16:off to LILO, i've
successfully turned the framebuffer off.  woo-hoo!

so, i decide to put that in my lilo.conf ... so i do, and run lilo,
and i get the error:

Unrecognized token "video" at or above line 105 in file /etc/lilo.conf

and indeed, it's not a documented option in lilo.conf(5) ... that's so
weird!  i'm going to try recompiling the kernel without framebuffer
support, but i don't want to have to type that manually every time i
need to boot into debian (which intend to be every day!).

what gives?

</nori>

--
    .~.      nori @ sccs.swarthmore.edu