Re: Upgrading to woody - the saga continues...

Rodrigo Agerri wrote:

That remarkable Wed, Jun 11, 2003 at 17:44, Peter Hugosson-Miller wrote:

Anyhow, my second question is this: is there a better way to find those
"--- Obsolete and local packages present on system ---" than by going
into the dreaded dselect?

I think that if you get into dependencies problems because you do not have installed this or that package, you will know it :). In that case, you just use apt-get and install what you need.

OK, we're getting there! The root cause of all my problems seems to be the first stage of the upgrade, when I followed the instructions thus:

pehupc:~# apt-get install dpkg apt debconf

Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done

  (list of 36 packages)
 The following packages will be REMOVED:
  (list of 66 packages, including gdm, gnome-session, xfonts-base, sawfish)
  (list of 22 packages)
36 packages upgraded, 22 newly installed, 66 to remove and 155 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B/24.3MB of archives. After unpacking 54.8MB will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y

After I had got through this stage, doing the suggested

pehupc:~# apt-get -f install

...which I had to do 3 times, I then proceeded with this:

pehupc:~# apt-get --fix-broken --show-upgraded dist-upgrade

Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done

Calculating Upgrade... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  (list of 8 packages)
  (list of 35 packages)
The following packages will be upgraded
  (list of 156 packages)
156 packages upgraded, 35 newly installed, 8 to remove and 0  not upgraded.
Need to get 0B/66.1MB of archives. After unpacking 68.4MB will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y

So the upgrade went OK, except that 74 packages were removed when it was all finished. I used this:

pehupc:~#  dpkg -l  | grep '^r'

...which I thought would find them all, but only about 20 of them showed up (a fact which I missed at the time). I did the required apt-get install on these until dpkg -l | grep '^r' didn't return anything more, then I assumed I was done. I never noticed that gnome-session didn't show up in the list, and was too lazy to trawl through the update transcript. I've had such a good experience with apt-get up to now, so I kind of assumed that it would have sorted itself out.

If what you want is to install the essentials of gnome, do

apt-get install gnome-core

OK, last night I installed gnome-session, gmc, gnome-applets, gnome-control-center, and I have my gnome desktop back more or less how it was. I am still looking for an easy way to find which packages I might still need to re-install, other than eyeballing the upgrade transcript.

By the way, which version, 1.4 or 2.2?

I honestly don't know. I have always kept firmly to the stable distribution, so your question should be answerable by looking at what's included in potato and woody. If there is a choice (and this goes for X as well), then I am not aware of it. AFAIK apt-get doesn't give you the option to choose a version of a package, you get what's included in the distribution.

The only exception I've seen was the gimp, which exists as gimp and gimp1.2. Installing gimp1.2 causes gimp to be removed. Are there similar packages with versions in the names for X and gnome? I can't check myself from here, as I'm at work right now, so sorry if this seems a stupid question.

My guess is that if I could find those dratted "--- Obsolete and local packages present on system ---" then all would be revealed.

--
Cheers!

 .~.
 /V\