Re: cannot start snort ???

Also sprach Jeffrey L. Taylor (Wed 11 Jun 02003 at 11:18:10AM -0500):
> Quoting Michael D. Schleif <mds@helices.org>:
> [snip]
> > However, I *cannot* start snort!  It is not running and I do not know
> > how to debug this one.
> >
> > What do you think?
> >

> First check the syslogs for any errors.  Some will get logged, some
> will just quietly kill Snort.  If that doesn't help, start Snort
> directly in IDS mode and without detaching into the background.  You
> will have to RTFM for the options, I have to leave for a meeting now,
> and the last time I did this is not in root's .history any more.
>
> HTH,
>   Jeffrey

Yes, daemon.log led me to this:

	FATAL ERROR: /etc/snort/snort.conf(177) => Unknown argument \
	  to http_decode preprocessor: "-unicode"

After much googling, I found that /etc/snort/snort.conf was *not* at
version 2.x.

I re-installed both snort and snort-common, and the CONF is now updated,
and snort works, again!

I am still not clear as to why this happened?

It seems as though updating snort does not automatically update
snort-common, which contains the CONF.

--
Best Regards,

mds