Re: [OT] 4-way split screen on Dell laptop 8000

On Wed, Jun 11, 2003 at 01:43:14PM -0400, Nori Heikkinen wrote:

| I'm trying to install debian on a Dell Inspiron 8000.  It's being a
| little less cooperative than the desktop systems I'm used to!

I have an inspiron 7500 here that works just fine

| My main problem right now is that on the console (i haven't even
| gotten X up yet), the screen is normal for the top quarter, and then
| redraws itself ontop of itself beginning at the 1-quarter, half, and
| 3-quarter marks.  The result is pretty legible for the second quarter,
| but absolutely illegible at the bottom.

| The RedHat and Windoze installs that are on other partitions of this
| machine look fine, so it's an issue with Debian's interaction with
| this video card.
|
| Has anyone run into this before, and could point me in the right
| direction?

The only thing I can think of is bad driver settings.  I believe the
installer uses the 'vga16' framebuffer driver.  You could try to use
the VGA driver instead.  (try appending "vga=0" to the kernel command
line)  I use the vesafb driver (1280x1024x26) with no problems at all.

-D

--
Pride goes before destruction,
a haughty spirit before a fall.