Re: [OT] Bogus undelivered message

on Wed, Jun 11, 2003 at 03:44:15PM -0400, Mike M (linux-support@earthlink.net) wrote:
> Has anyone heard of bogus email undeliverable messages being used to
> propogate virus?  I just got such a message from a system I did not
> recognize.  I was tempted to investigate the attachments when I recalled that
> real undelivered messages contain a lot of information about where it came
> from and why.
>
> I almost stepped in the dew-dew.
>
> The thing that really pissed me off was that it came addressed to my email
> address above - which I ONLY use for known good lists.  Bummer.

Yes.

    Return to sender, false address unknown
    By John Leyden

    Are spammers deliberately getting mail servers to bounce
    undeliverable messages towards their targets as a way of getting
    their junk read?

If you want your messages authenticated, sign them.

Peace.

   Integrity, we've heard of it:  http://www.theregister.co.uk/