Re: Good Open Source Web Development software

-- Paul Johnson <baloo@ursine.ca> wrote
(on Tuesday, 10 June 2003, 01:42 AM -0700):
> On Tue, Jun 10, 2003 at 02:10:45AM -0400, lists1 wrote:
> > It works heavily toward w3c standard compliant code (and if you look at the
> > top 100 sites, I doubt 10% of them are 100% standards compliant, and if you
> > have 100% standards compliant, you'll be excluding over 90% of the browser
> > users on the internet).
>
> No you wouldn't, because all the browsers out can decently render a
> 100% compliant page.  I've yet to find a browser that can't.

Not to be too contrary here, but if you've ever played with absolute and
relative positioned elements and written 100% standards compliant HTML
and CSS to do so, you absolutely MUST have found a browser that can't
decently render it. It's called Netscape 4.x. Doesn't matter which
platform (windows, *nix, mac), it simply is a buggy browser with bad
support for standards.

IE4 is only slightly better; IE5 only slightly better than that; at
least with these browsers, you'll still be able to *see* all the
content, which is not necessarily the case with NN4.

Just my 2 cents as a (often frustrated) web developer.

--
Matthew Weier O'Phinney
matthew@weierophinney.net