Re: Good Open Source Web Development software

On Tue, Jun 10, 2003 at 02:10:45AM -0400, lists1 wrote:
> On Monday 09 June 2003 14:03, Kevin Griffis wrote:
> > I would like to eventually do all my web development on my Linux laptop and
> > ditch FrontPage altogether.  I am planning to build a site on a LAMP
> > machine and was wondering what Open Source web design tools are out there
> > for Debian.  Does anyone have any recommendations?
> >
> > Kevin Griffis
>
> I'd concur with recommending gvim for basic and fast editing, with the point
> and click ability, and you can practice your vim commands as well.

This post is about choosing an editor.

In trying to find a comfortable way to work with multiple PHP & HTML
files I tried:

1) stacked xterm windows with a vim session in each
2) a konsole with multiple tabs with a vim session in each (better than
   #1 because of larger viewing space, IMHO)
3) bluefish / quanta
4) gvim

I don't like #1 because it limits how much of each file I can see and
you can't highlight past the bottom of the screen (it won't scroll).

I found #4 to be the best choice because
* I like the power of vi
* You can maximize the gvim window to see as much context as
  possible
* You can detach the buffer list and float it to the side to make
  switching files easier.
* Good syntax highlighting
* I would rather work with HTML instead of using a WYSIWYG editor
  because I have more control and I want the HTML to look nice.
* You can split the window horizontally or vertically if you want to.
* Copying & pasting between files is easy.
* gvim has friendly menus and buttons if you don't know vi well enough.

- Joe