Re: kernel compile problems with gcc 3.3

On Mon, 09 Jun 2003 23:16:55 -0400, Peter S Galbraith wrote:
>Dan Jones <ddjones@riddlemaster.org> wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 09 Jun 2003 18:26:46 GMT, Matthias Leopold wrote:
>>>hi
>>>
>>>i tried to recompile my 2.4.20 kernel with make-kpkg (as i have
>>>successfully done before) incorporating the xfs and ck patches.
>>>this time the process stopped with the following error message:
>>>
>>>net/network.o(.text+0xe117): In function `rtnetlink_rcv': :
>>>undefined reference to `rtnetlink_rcv_skb

>>Two ways.  One is to use gcc-3.2.3.  You can install the gcc-3.2.3
>>without uninstalling the gcc-3.3 package.  Just change the symbolic
>> link in /usr/bin to point to the older compiler after install.

>I'm now compiling with gcc-3.2 (by editing the top-level Makefile
>value for CC) but I'm getting erors all over the place.  Then I
>config out the problematic file only to have it fail later.  :-(

Did you restart the compile process from the beginning?  Start with
make config (or xconfig or menuconfig), then make dep, make clean and
make bzImage (assuming you're using bzImages.)  If you change
compilers and simply go right to make bzImage, you'll get all kinds
of problems like you described.

Dan