Re: kernel compile problems with gcc 3.3

On Mon, 09 Jun 2003 23:44:58 -0400, J.F.Gratton wrote:
>Actually, both errors are *not* the same
>

>Dan's is due to something missing in the kernel sources; I've read
>the thread in the kernel developpers' mailing list, I can't recall
>exactly what is missing, but I know that a patch is available,
>either for 2.4.20 or the soon-to-come 2.4.21. An acceptable
>workaround for now is to downgrade your compiler (3.2.x seems to be
>OK with it; I recompiled my kernel using 2.95 and it worked fine).

Everything I've read indicates that it's a case of gcc-3.3 deciding
that you REALLY didn't want that function inlined.  The patch simply
does the same thing I posted here - changes it to a static inline
which causes gcc to go ahead and inline it.  If you've seen another
explination and have a pointer handy, I'd be interested in seeing the
discussion.

Thanks,

Dan