Re: ipmasq dns problem

* Thomas H. George (tomgeorge@spininternet.com) [030609 13:34]:
> I have installed ipmasq as a firewall on a debian computer (Woody,
> kernel 2.4.18) placed between a DSL modem and a wireless router.  The
> system works perfectly with the computers on the LAN using Woody or
> Testing but I have been unable to use Netscape from a computer using
> Windows ME. I can access the internet - i.e. I can ping internet IP
> addresses and get a response.  If I start Netscape and try to reach the
> same addresses with domain names, Netscape times out trying to resolve
> the domain name.
>
> After lengthy cnversations with tech support I have been told that this
> is because Windows expects network sharing to activated on the firewall
> server.  Is this true?   If it is true, how do I do it?

It sounds like they think you're using a windows box doing "internet
connection sharing" instead of a real router.  I'd ignore them.

It sounds like you have everything working correctly from a network
perspective, and that this is really a client configuration problem.
How is this client configured?  Static IP info, DHCP?  If you're using
DHCP, you should set the DHCP server (your woody box?) to give out a
proper DNS server address.  What do the other machines (the ones that
work) use as a DNS server?  Does your woody box do any DNS
forwarding/caching?  Are they using DHCP?  If you're not using DHCP
anywhere, I'd bet this is as simple as doing the equivalent of this on
the windows box:

echo nameserver $DNS_IP >> /etc/resolv.conf

Of course, since it's a windows box, the way to do that probably
involves a lot of pointing at my-something-or-other, right-clicking,
properties, and other silly nonsense.  And probably a reboot or three.

If you are using DHCP, what is the DHCP server?  The Woody box?  What
are the working hosts using for DNS, and how did they get set correctly?

good times,
Vineet
--
http://www.doorstop.net/