Re: [OT] ergonomic setups

On Sat, Jun 07, 2003 at 12:36:43PM -0500, Alex Malinovich wrote:
> On Sat, 2003-06-07 at 04:07, Paul Johnson wrote:
> Oh, and just to give them a mention, let's not forget about trackballs
> and touchpads. Both are good alternatives to mice, and great if you
> don't do too much really "fast paced" mousing. (i.e. gaming) I used a
> trackball for a number of years and I really liked it. Absolutely NO
> wrist movement, and most of them are designed to make your hand
> EXTREMELY comfortable. I still regularly use a touchpad on my laptop,
> though I can't really see myself using for my desktop. (Though I have a
> friend who does, and he swears by it.)

Why not?  I found that I'm quite comfortable with a laptop, even though
I often have been "issued" a desktop (Win-Whatever) while working
on-site.

My solution was to connect the laptop to the customer's network (with
permission of course), install a VNC server on the desktop, push the
customer's keyboard and mouse out of the way, and run x2vnc: Voila -
I never have to move hands off the laptop - except for coffee, coffee,
lunch, coffee, coffee, toilet and coffee breaks.

But it usually takes a while for the customers to get used to the
desktop "doing things" while I'm typing away on the laptop and the mouse
pointer scrolling off the laptop onto their desktop...

--
Karl E. Jørgensen
karl@jorgensen.com   http://karl.jorgensen.com
>Ever heard of .cshrc?
That's a city in Bosnia.  Right?
(Discussion in comp.os.linux.misc on the intuitiveness of commands.)