Re: [OT] ergonomic setups

On Sat, 2003-06-07 at 04:07, Paul Johnson wrote:
--snip--
> If you're using a mouse, keep your wrist fairly straight, and try to
> use your whole arm to move the mouse.  Using your wrist alone is just
> begging for carpal tunnel syndrome; just your forearm for tennis elbow.

I strongly disagree with this. Using your whole arm is a lot less taxing
on the wrist, but much more tiring for the rest of your arm. I set my
mouse sensitivity very high, and then primarily move the mouse with my
fingers. Rather than "pawing" the mouse like a ball, I just rest my
fingers on it and keep my wrist far enough back that my wrist is
essentially straight. Any wrist movement is very minimal. (Less than 2
inches.) A great mouse to use this way is the Razer Boomslang. I don't
think it's being produced anymore, but it's easily the best mouse I've
ever used. The layout and placement of the ball are nothing short of
ideal for using a mouse with just your fingers. Some of the new optical
mice are nice, but they try to force you to put your whole hand on it,
which really ends up hurting my wrist after a few mins.

Oh, and just to give them a mention, let's not forget about trackballs
and touchpads. Both are good alternatives to mice, and great if you
don't do too much really "fast paced" mousing. (i.e. gaming) I used a
trackball for a number of years and I really liked it. Absolutely NO
wrist movement, and most of them are designed to make your hand
EXTREMELY comfortable. I still regularly use a touchpad on my laptop,
though I can't really see myself using for my desktop. (Though I have a
friend who does, and he swears by it.)

--
Alex Malinovich
pgp.net keyservers. Key ID: A6D24837