Re: package names don't match?

On Mon, 2003-06-09 at 16:49, Emma Jane Hogbin wrote:
> I'm trying to install opera but get the following error:
>
> debian:/usr/local# apt-get install libqt3c102-mt
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
> ***** Sorry, libqt3c102-mt is already the newest version.
> 0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 145  not upgraded.
>
> debian:/usr/local# dpkg -i opera_7.11-20030515.2-shared-qt_i386.deb
> Selecting previously deselected package opera.
> (Reading database ... 44586 files and directories currently installed.)
> Unpacking opera (from opera_7.11-20030515.2-shared-qt_i386.deb) ...
> dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of opera:
>  opera depends on libqt3-mt (>= 2:3.0.3); however:
> *****  Package libqt3-mt is not installed.
> dpkg: error processing opera (--install):
>  dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
>  opera
>
> debian:/usr/local# apt-get install libqt3
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
> Package libqt3 has no available version, but exists in the database.
> This typically means that the package was mentioned in a dependency and
> never uploaded, has been obsoleted or is not available with the contents
> of sources.list
> However the following packages replace it:
>   libqt3c102-mt libqt3c102
> E: Package libqt3 has no installation candidate
>

> Other than complain to Opera, is there anything I can do to resolve this
> dependency?

The c102 packages have been recompiled with gcc-3.2 which probably wont
link with opera which is probably compiled with gcc-2.9 anyway.

You should download the statically linked version of opera and that
should work fine.

HTH,

Shri

Shri Shrikumar       U R Byte Solutions           Tel:   0845 644 4745
I.T. Consultant	     Edinburgh, Scotland          Mob:   0773 980 3499
                     Web: www.urbyte.com          Email: shri@urbyte.com