Re: Beginers guide to spamassain ?

On 09 Jun 2003, Jeffrey L. Taylor wrote:
> Quoting stan <stanb@panix.com>:
> [snip]
> > Looks like the maintainer of the Spambouncer rules is falling a bit
> > behind the stae of the art of spammers, as I'm getting a fair number
> > of spam emails into my primary mailbox each day.
> >
> > I'm thinking that prehaps spamassain will do better. Any opinions on this?
> >

> More is getting thru SpamAssassin (SA) lately too.  The spammers are
> figuring out how to avoid SA's patterns.  They are probably doing the
> same for Spambouncer.  Adding Bayesian filtering, either SA's or some
> other package, helps, but requires maintenance of the spam and ham
> (non-spam) samples.  I have a setup with shared IMAP folders for false
> positives and false negatives.  Once an hour a cron job runs to feed
> the corrections back into the Bayesian databases.
>
> SA is a real CPU and memory hog.  I estimate a 266MHz Pentium as a
> minimum.  It absolutely choked a 133MHz 486 with 64MB RAM.
>
> HTH,
>   Jeffrey

I'm getting pretty reasonable performance with spamprobe (a Bayesian
filter). After a few weeks' use I'm getting only about 2 per cent of
false negatives and almost no false positives.

AC

--
ac@acampbell.org.uk    ||  http://www.acampbell.org.uk
using Linux GNU/Debian ||  for book reviews, electronic