Re: Beginers guide to spamassain ?

Quoting stan <stanb@panix.com>:
[snip]
> Looks like the maintainer of the Spambouncer rules is falling a bit
> behind the stae of the art of spammers, as I'm getting a fair number
> of spam emails into my primary mailbox each day.
>
> I'm thinking that prehaps spamassain will do better. Any opinions on this?

More is getting thru SpamAssassin (SA) lately too.  The spammers are
figuring out how to avoid SA's patterns.  They are probably doing the
same for Spambouncer.  Adding Bayesian filtering, either SA's or some
other package, helps, but requires maintenance of the spam and ham
(non-spam) samples.  I have a setup with shared IMAP folders for false
positives and false negatives.  Once an hour a cron job runs to feed
the corrections back into the Bayesian databases.

SA is a real CPU and memory hog.  I estimate a 266MHz Pentium as a
minimum.  It absolutely choked a 133MHz 486 with 64MB RAM.

HTH,
  Jeffrey