bind for beginners

Hi,

        I currently have 7 low-spec machines at home and 4 users. It
        all works very nicely and the linksys router provides, amongst
        other things, the dhcp server for the network. Nothing is
        wrong with it at all.

        I want to put the nameserver function onto one of the
        machines. I am new to what I am attempting and would like some
        advice.

        Am I right in thinking that I need to download and install
        bindand will the dependencies cover all the needded software?

        Will this enable me to give static addresses to my network
        machines?

        I am not looking for any depth in replies, just an indication
        that I am moving in the right direction. Once I know what
        software is appropriate I will tuck into the manuals.

        I want to do this, not because it will improve my little
        network, but because I want to understand naming. The only
        proviso is that I wish to stay exclusivly within stable.

Keith
--
  Keith O'Connell.                   -o)