X instability in mixed stable/unstable/testing system

I've been having problems with X instability for a long time. I'll do
something in a app (usually mozilla, firebird or galeon) and X will
freeze, not responding to keyboard commands or mouse movement.

I can still ssh into the machine, run top and find out that X is
consuming 99% of my CPU cycles.

This is a notebook (Toshiba Portege 3440) with a Savage MX graphics
chip. The guy who wrote the driver
(http://www.probo.com/timr/savage40.html) says that it will accept
Option "NoAccel". I've specified it but /var/log/XFree86.0.log will
look identical with or without it. It might also be interesting to
know that I don't get any error messages in /var/log/XFree86.0.log or
~/.xsession-errors

This is the xserver package I'm using.

xserver-common/testing uptodate 4.2.1-3
xserver-xfree86/testing uptodate 4.2.1-3

My window manager is fluxbox.

Any ideas about what I can do to improve X stability are welcome.

regards alex

--

Alex Polite
http://plusseven.com/gpg