Re: Speeding up debian ... ?

On Saturday 07 June 2003 16:04, Chris Metzler wrote:
> On Sat, 7 Jun 2003 15:43:47 +0200
>
> aradorlinux@yahoo.es wrote:
> > On Sat, 07 Jun 2003 03:29:37 +0100
> >
> > David selby <debian@pusspaws.net> wrote:
> >> Would there be much of a speed increase, enough to warrent doing it ?
> >
> > Yes.
> >
> > (You can listen people saying "no"; but those people can't prove
> > how its posible that a optimized compilation of some apps seems to make
> > a diference in the real world)
>
> Since you're so confident that it makes a significant difference for
> typical workstation users (who are rarely constrained by CPU speed,
> instead being mostly constrained by I/O speed), I eagerly await your
> numbers from a battery of real-world tests.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> -c

i recompiled my vorbis-tools, libogg0, libvorbis0.
when playing oggs it was taking up 3-5% cpu, now its taking 0-1%
i didn't look at what it was doing before when encoding, but it 'feels'
faster, encoding each cd in 15 minutes (after ripping), before i was encoding
& ripping in the same step, and it was doing it in about an hour each cd, but
that isn't a fair test since they where in different settings.

granted, 2% cpu gain (freeing up, whatever you call it) is kind of trivial,
but vorbis-tools & libs is a small package (seemed like under 5 minutes
compiletime, didn't really time it though) haven't hand any problems with ogg
since doing it.

i also recompiled galeon, but it seems to have destableized when i did it.
though when it doesn't crash (twice per week, usually pages with java or
flash)  it seems to draw the screen sooner or faster.  but then there are so
many unknowns in this equation (bandwith, network traffic, site traffic,
other tasks on the cpu, my mind playing tricks on me)