Re: Help

On Mon, Jun 09, 2003 at 06:06:31AM -0400, Haines Brown wrote:
> Wow, Fred, people are going to get upset with you. Multiple versions
> of multiple messages from you are showing up. I see that you are using
> Word to send your message. I suggest you don't do that and also that
> you follow some of the advice you are getting.
>
> Send one message, plain ASCII (Word is capable of that, but may call
> the output smart DOS, plain text, etc.), and wait a day or two for a
> reply. If you must format your mail messages, simplest is to use HTML,
> and ideally you could use XHTML (in principle these are two quite
> different things, but they do look simpilar). But as I said, I can't
> think of any reason whatsoever to format messages to a list, and so
> doing so a waste of time and resources, and tends to make your
> messages less readable for many. Word generates very flawed HTML/XHTML
> tagging and is best avoided. It is not even a good word
> processor. There are plenty of (X)HTML editors, but I don't use them
> and so can't recommend any. HtDg/HotDog perhaps is a good one, or
> Coldfusion. An old good one is HoTMetaL. Best, pehaps, is simply to
> create HTML or XHTML tags by hand. Avoid Frontpage (I suffer too much
> from the garbage it produces).
>
> Incidentally, you might reconsider using Word at all. There's plenty
> of alternatives, including doing without a word processor
> altogether. The most beautiful printed result may come from using
> LyX, which is perhaps not a word processor. I suspect there's a
> Windows version.
>
> Haines Brown

I got into this thread late so if I am wrong footed my apologies

Firstly Haines, please Do Not encourage anyone to send HTML mail to any
maillist. Many list members will simply ignore and/or discard html unread,
It's considered bad form.

Fred, if you are stuck in Windows set your mailer to send plain text.Any
good mailer can be set this way, otherwise get one that will.

Eudora would be a good choice, but there are others. Opera for webmail also
comes to mind.

HTH.
--
Cheers